Gondola opening date delayed; expected to open June 15
In light of COVID-19 concerns, the gondola will not open for the 2020 summer as originally scheduled on May 21, 2020, due to public health orders and a delayed start to required maintenance work.
Gondola officials are anticipating an opening date of June 15, 2020, with new health guidelines, but that is subject to change given the constantly evolving COVID-19 situation.
“As we slowly reopen our towns, our full- and part-time residents and guests will once again be counting on the gondola to get them to our farmer’s markets, shops, restaurants, and even their favorite trailheads,” said Mountain Village Mayor Laila Benitez. “We know the gondola plays a critical part in our regional economy and we are excited about reopening as soon as possible.”
The gondola’s bi-annual maintenance program, which occurs each off-season, saw a three-week delay due to public health orders in March, and maintenance work began on April 26 to be in compliance with Colorado Passenger Tramway Safety Board requirements.
Once the gondola reopens to the public, the following protocols will happen to ensure passengers and staff’s safety:
- The number of passengers per cabin will be in accordance with county health orders.
- Riders are asked and encouraged to wear masks while onboard and in gondola stations (masks are available upon request).
- Hand sanitizer available at all stations.
- Regular disinfection of gondola cabin cars between passenger onboarding.
- Visual markers in queues in order to maintain physical separation while in line to board the gondola.
These protocols are subject to change depending on public health orders, social distancing protocols and recommendations at the time of reopening.
Stay tuned for another announcement confirming an opening date in the coming weeks prior to June 15.